Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mother's Day


Mother’s Day

The celebration of one day a year started in 1910 when one daughter wanted to honor mothers in memory of all that her mother did for those in the Civil War who tended to wounded soldiers.  In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson made it a National holiday on the second Sunday of every May. 

The original intent of Mother’s Day was for families to attend church, and give mothers a carnation (Jarvis’s mother’s favorite flower).  Red or pink carnations went to living mothers and white carnations to those whose mothers had passed away.  Then after church, the sons and daughters were to write letters to their mothers with their appreciation for her.  Jarvis became angry when the card companies and flower industry turned the holiday in one of the most lucrative holidays for cards and flowers.  She wanted the letters to be written with authenticity, not a gooey sentiment on a card.

Her anger made me think.  My mom is not a fan of cards and flowers.  Give to her what she wants, candy and yarn (Jo Ann’s gift cards suffice the second one.), but like most mothers, she cherishes time.  I am fortunate to spend time with my mother daily, and to be able to communicate honestly with her.

Time.  Time is precious, yet so many of us do not take advantage of it (Myself included).  For some people there is no more time to spend with their mothers on earth, but they do have memories of her.  For some people, their mothers were not the best.  The time spent with their mothers was unbearable, but they can spend time with women who have become surrogate mothers and start a new time to be better people with others. 

So, while I don’t know how much time I have on earth, I do know that I have to use my time wisely.  I can pray for my mom, mothers who may be struggling, and new mothers who cannot find which way is up anymore.  I can use the personality traits and best parts of my mom and inject them into my time daily and become a better person.

 I may not be a mom, but I can be a person who spends time listening to moms and their stories.  Let’s make Mother’s Day about Moms again.  Let’s spend time with women who are Moms and allow them to grow and become better as they build the next generation.  It will be time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment