Sunday, May 20, 2018

No Words


No Words

I have tried for the past two days to put into words the senseless tragedy that occurred in Santa Fe, Texas.  I can’t.  Every time I start, I get stuck.  The last time I posted something about it on social media, two people fought on my Facebook newsfeed, while I sat in the movie theater. When I got out of the movie theater, I was horrified.  I do not live on the Internet, not even on the weekends. 

Maybe our problem is that we all live in a “pretend” world.  In our “pretend” world life is perfect.  Everyone loves us.  No one is mean.  What we say in real life and on the Internet is truth and everyone who hears it agrees with it.  Our relationships are perfect with absolutely no conflict.  We do no wrong in our “pretend” world because everyone else is to blame for everything going wrong in our world.  The problem is our “pretend” world does not exist.

We have to stop playing “make believe” and begin to find solutions.  We have to stop speaking and begin listening to others.  We need to act and act quickly.  We have to stop blaming everyone else for what has happened in our lives and the lives of those in our community around us.  We must take responsibility for our actins and move forward. 

I don’t want to hear how wrong the political party you hate is. (That word is strong, but the things I’ve read on the Internet and heard in real life compile into one word—hate.) I don’t want to hear how perfect the world was fifty years ago.  I’m living now and I’m in a school now.  I don’t want to hear your theories.  I want it to end.

I don’t have the words to end it.  We could have security like they do at the airports, because if you notice, no planes have flown into buildings since 9/11 in America, but people will probably tell me how stupid I am for that idea.  I don’t know.  I do know that we need to start to love others.  Real love.  We need to sacrifice.  Everyone needs to be kind.  Don’t say, “Stop bullying.”  You are the ones who bully who say that.  (Yep, I’ve read all your posts too.)

I agree with the pastor at the Royal Wedding.  His message may not have been just for Prince Harry and Princess Meghan. I think his message was for America, since he shared it the day after the shooting.  Ironic or the Holy Spirit?  “Love.  Love is the only answer.  Love God.  Love others.  And while you’re at it, love yourself.”  That is the only answer I have.  Learn to love.  Love is patient.  Love is kind.  Love does not keep a record of wrongs.  Be careful what you say on the Internet.  Is it love?  Is it kind?  Is it patient?  Are you counting the wrongs of others?  

Show love.  Show love to your enemies.  Show love to your family.  Show love to those who have wronged you.  Show love to that political party that you detest.  If we give love, we get in return.  God is love.  Let’s show the world God with our love.

No comments:

Post a Comment