Monday, June 6, 2022

The Church and Public Schools

 


This has been one of the most difficult years I’ve had as a teacher. I’m not alone. Most teachers have had a difficult year this school year. Most schools struggled. Between absences of students and teachers with Covid, and behavior issues because of the mental health struggles from the pandemic, the world of academics took a hard hit. Then, at the end of the year, a devastating school shooting took place, and once again as teachers, we were reminded we don’t work in a safe place. The debates started. It’s not that people stood on one side or the other. It’s that Christians revealed that we are powerless when in fact we have the power. We have the solution in Jesus. We must use it. 


The public schools have issues. If it is because we removed Bible reading for the entire class (because the Bible is still read in specific courses, especially in high school), and we do not have public prayer for the entire school, then we have a bigger problem in the church in America. Just because we read the Bible and pray does not guarantee that our actions will be those that are like Christ. Let’s be honest. Christians are not behaving as Christians. If you have ever been the only Bible that someone has read, then you understand that our actions and words are much louder than doing a devotional before the start of a day. 


As a teacher in a public school, I have had to demonstrate my faith by what I do and speak. It has been difficult many times, especially this year. I am not perfect. I must confess. I have understood that I may be the only Bible that my students and colleagues may read. It is in those moments that it doesn’t matter what translation I use, but that I exemplify the actions of Jesus. 


Being a Christian in a public school is not easy for the teachers, administrators, or students. When I do stop teaching in a public school, I will not complain that the public schools are corrupt. I will still serve a public school. Even if I teach in a public school until I retire, it is not my place to complain, but to make such a difference that people meet Jesus. 


In Matthew 28, Jesus said to go to all the world and make disciples of all nations. He didn’t say do a devotional. He didn’t say just pray in public, although he did say something about public prayer, but that is for another blog. He told us to go. We must go. So how do you go if you are not a teacher? 


In my youth ministry career, I presented at youth worker seminars how Christian leaders could get onto a public school campus. I gave the leaders at least fifty to one hundred ideas. They would meet in small groups and come up with their own ideas of how to get on the campuses, along with my list. It all starts with having a servant’s heart. If Christians are willing to serve, true change will occur in our country. 


Some simple ways to serve at public schools are doing the jobs that many don’t see like working in the snack bars at games or events or using your talents with the drama or music programs. Those drama and music programs need helpers if your schools have full blown drama and music programs. Help with tickets at events. If you want to coach or tutor, you will have to go through some hoops, but servants are willing to follow the rules to serve. Help your students in your church start a Bible club at school. Yes, they are allowed. They just must be student-led. 


If you are near an elementary, ask a teacher if you could help in the classroom. You know when teachers need the most help? We need the most help setting up our classrooms in the fall. We have so many meetings to go to and not much time in our rooms. The best way to serve though, is to ask. 


A few years ago, I was punished at my youth ministry job and sent to Hawaii for a missionary conference of how to lead short-term mission trips. The conference was my punishment, not the place. Anyway, the best advice I learned was ask the person you are serving, “What do you need?” You may be surprised by their answers. It may be different than what you thought. It may be exactly what you are capable to do. The church must start asking the public schools, “What acts of service do you need?” It’s fun to watch the response because no one serves, and the element of surprise of your servant’s heart is a true blessing for them. 


Jesus said to GO. Why are we sitting in our pews and wringing our hands of how horrible this country is? Christians must GO. We can all play the blame game. That’s easy. That’s comfortable. Going is not easy. It’s not comfortable. It takes time. It uses our talents. It’s time we move and go. Who knows? You may have been called for such a time as this. 


This school year was difficult, but it was not impossible. Teachers were asked to go above and beyond our call of duty. We did. If we want God back in the public schools, God must show up in the form of the people who have his Spirit serving. We can continue to pray for our schools. We can pray for what we can do. Once we begin to serve, change will occur. Let us pray and act. 


No comments:

Post a Comment