Monday, June 13, 2022

Summer Vacation for Adults

 


For the past fifteen years, I have looked forward to summer because as a teacher, I get a summer break from the classroom. Although I volunteered at a basketball camp one summer and taught at a drama camp the following summer, most of my breaks have been fun and fancy free from work at school. At the end of each school year, I am well aware of the rest that is needed for the summer break. I realize that not all adults have the luxury of having two months off in the summer from their job. I also realize that most adults need the rest and a break more than children do, especially in a season that begs us to take a break. 


Rest is valuable to adults. In Kindergarten, most of us fought those naps, but as adults, we yearn for just a small power nap in the middle of the day to keep our energy going. Rest is valuable. I’m a person who loves to go and keep active. The pandemic forced me to stay at home. Now, that we have the freedom to be out of our homes, I realize I must do better with resting. 


In youth ministry, some people tried to convince me that resting was not available to us because God’s work is never done. It’s true that God’s work here on earth will never be done. It’s arrogant and theologically incorrect to believe that we are the only ones to do God’s work. If I believe that I am the only one who can do God’s work, I’m doing it wrong; it’s not what God asked me to do. God can use all of us. We should have people able to take our place in ministry so that we can rest. 


Jesus rested. He went to quiet places often and rested. I was reminded in a devotional today that in Mark 6:30-31 when the disciples returned from their ministry, Jesus told them to go rest. Being exhausted does not make us better human beings. Statistics prove that tired drivers are worse than drunk drivers. It is imperative that we rest. 


In the summertime, we can enjoy the summer evenings sitting on the porch, or by a fan in the living room resting. The books on our shelves can be read in the quiet evenings. I realized that I must limit my screen time in the evenings so I can get to sleep earlier. I am setting a goal to try to get to bed earlier. By nature, I’m a night owl, but I am more productive with a full day with a well-rested physical body. 


Along with regulated rest, we can take some time in nature. As a young person and a youth pastor, I went to many church summer camps. It was a break from the city. In Southern California, we were in the beauty of God’s creation in the mountains. We all need some time in God’s creation. It doesn’t have to be a week or even a weekend in nature. It can be a morning or evening walk in a park or a hiking trail. For those of us who live near the ocean or lake or a river, we can spend time just admiring God’s beauty for a few hours. Taking a walk outside helps our souls, minds, and bodies. Young people can spend a week at church camp. Adults can spend a few hours with God’s creation and be renewed. 


Along with resting, my favorite summer activities as a young person involved connecting with my friends. The last two years taught us all that we need community. Laughter and great conversations bring health to our souls. Take time to connect, even if its phone calls, or Zoom calls, but in-person community is great and makes us better human beings on social media. Do activities to make new friends. Our country needs our communities to be united and to work together now more than ever. If we as Christians want our country to be more Christian, then we as Christians must go to our communities and serve one another. 


When we connect with other people, we understand the importance of seeing other people’s point of views. We become kind with our words, as we are with them physically and not hiding behind a screen. A few years ago, I discovered the importance of reconnecting with friends from my past as it made social media more social. 


Once we are rested and enjoying other people, we can conquer the issues that come along in our lives. A few hours away from the trials of life will always make us healthier. We just have to make the time to rest. It is imperative. It is for our souls and bodies to be healthy. Let’s have a healthy summer and take a healthy break that benefits you and those around you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment