Sunday, July 22, 2018

Envy


 Some people leave social media because they become depressed reading about other people’s posts of great experiences in their lives.  Psychologists are studying the effects of social media.  One effect is the idea of people’s jealousy when they read about others good life. The whole idea of envying what others have will create in us an anxiety because envy is a root of many sins. 

Romans 12:15 says, “Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.”  I have noticed that in the church or among Christians or people in general, we mourn with those who mourn.  Most people have a general concern for those who have lost a loved one or have had horrible medical news, but when it comes to rejoicing with those who are rejoicing, we struggle because of jealousy. 

On an episode of the show, Monk, (Yes, I still watch the reruns) the captain tells Monk that the root of most of the sins in the world is envy.  The writer was right.  Think about it.  Why do people kill, steal, destroy, gossip, lie, etc.?  They envy what the other person has.  If we could eliminate jealousy, we would have lives with much more satisfying and fulfilling. 

It should be encouraging to read on social media the joy that others are experiencing in life.  For some people, it is their only glimpse of happiness.  We should rejoice because God is doing something great in someone’s life, and if we think about it, He is willing and waiting to do something great in everyone’s life.  He wants all of us to fulfill our own purpose in life.

When we look at pictures or hear stories, most people leave out the details of some events of the real stories.  I can only imagine what the character Clark Griswald would tell his friends and relatives about his many adventures on all his vacations in the Vacation movies.  Those movies reveal many vacation mishaps and all anyone sees are the snippets of a family posing for a picture. 

When envy comes into our lives, it creates a bitterness that eats away at our soul.  It debilitates us and keeps us from being our best selves.  As a single person, I rejoice when a friend gets engaged or married.  It gives me hope that there is someone for me.  It’s not always easy, but if I don’t rejoice, it will fill me with bitterness and take away a small part of me that I don’t want to lose and make me unattractive for that someone out there for me.   

If I truly believe that God has created me for a purpose, and that every single person on this earth has a purpose to fulfill, then I cannot envy when others are beginning to fulfill their purpose.  I have struggled at points in my life to rejoice with other’s happiness, but it just diverted me from my own purpose.  A few years ago, I decided to be excited with those who experience good things in life.  It made a world of difference and I discovered from their successes how I could be stronger.  I would love to imagine a world without envy.  I wonder if depression would lessen and contentment would grow.  Being jealous brings all kind of bitterness, wrath and evil.  Being content brings peace and joy and purpose to life.  I choose the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment