Monday, April 2, 2018


Party On!

Having been a faithful member of Mosaic for eleven years, I sometimes forget that our church may appear different from what others’ expectations of church are.  This Easter, I was reminded not only how unique we are, but how the community sees us.  The cool thing is that the community sees us.

We are located on the corner of Hollywood Blvd.  Our church starts where the stars on the street stop/start.  The tour busses pass our church to go to the homes of the celebrities and see our baptisms and people gathering outside.  On Easter, every tour bus slowed, as they passed our church.  Every car that drove on the street also slowed to see the spectacle and wondered what was going on in that building. 

A line of people gathered to enter the gathering for every service.  (Before you judge, the fire marshal demands this, and he was there.) The line went down the street and around the block to where our sign holders held signs that read, “1000 feet to Mosaic.”  It enticed one young man all the way to the lobby. 

In the lobby, the praise music started and the enthusiasm only swept louder throughout the building.  The man turned to me and said, “Is this a party?” 

I answered, “Yes, it’s Easter!” 

He replied, “No, I mean a real party.  This looks like a party.”

I stumbled, but thoughtfully gave my answer. “We’re a church, a Christian church, and we’re celebrating Easter with worship and a message.”

He was astonished.  “You’re kidding!  A church?  This is a church?” 

I smiled.  “Yes, go ahead.  You’ll love it.”

He smiled and said, “Alright.  I’ll be back.” 

He stepped out and made a phone call.  I overheard some of the conversation go something like this, “You should see this!  It’s a church.  People are lined up around the block!  They have food and coffee and lemonade!  They’re having fun!  It’s a church!” 

I turned around and he went inside.  I laughed to myself.  Then I remembered my friends’ social media posts about how spiritual their churches were, as they would have somber hymns in their service and no skinny jeans.  I’m sure their church attracts certain people, but this boulevard attracts people who need Jesus.  I don’t know his background, but I’m sure church was never a party for him in his life.  The irony is that our church is always a party.  He asked me if we did this every week, and I was able to respond with a big smile and a yes. 

As a follower of Jesus, I forget that not everyone has known Jesus since he or she was a child.  I forget that some people were not raised in a church, and some may never have gone to church.  We are the first church experience for many people in Hollywood.  I’m so happy that their first church experience is a party.

Jesus went to parties.  Jesus smiled and healed people.  The children flocked to him and enjoyed his presence.  The people came in the thousands to hear him teach and would not leave.  All of that sounds like a party to me. 

Whether your church is more “spiritual” than mine and sings quietly or loudly, church should be a party.  We should celebrate the resurrection of Christ joyfully.  As Christians, we should approach Easter with huge and genuine smiles.  We should invite family and friends into the presence of Jesus.  We should have a party to celebrate Jesus.  We all have different types of parties, as some are quiet and some are loud, but all celebrate. 

It’s not just Easter, but every Sunday should be approached as a party.  Every Sunday we should celebrate the resurrection of Jesus.  It’s not important that the fog machine doesn’t work.  It’s not important that Grandma Sally has to sit in a different seat.  It’s not important how or when we do offering or sing a certain song.  It is important that we worship Christ and bring people into his presence.  The presence should be genuine and fun.  Many people can’t wait to get to heaven to have a party with Jesus.  Let’s start the party here on earth, so when we get to heaven, we have so many people to party with Jesus.  So, in the words of Wayne and Garth, “Party on, Mosaic!  Party on!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment