Monday, December 18, 2023

Following a Star

 If you have ever questioned your GPS system, then you might have a small understanding of how the Magi followed the star that they saw in the sky. It takes faith to follow a path that you may not know or have ever taken. Many people remember the days that we had to read a map. I struggle to read maps because in Los Angeles we had a confusing book full of maps. 


When I first moved to Los Angeles, everyone told me to purchase this book of maps to travel around Southern California. I wish I hadn’t. I would turn the page and instead of the road continuing, it took me to another part of Southern California. You had to follow the arrows of the pages. That’s great when you’re driving, NOT! That book became a greater distraction than texting ever could. 


I’m horrible at reading maps, but I’m great at adventures! I’ve taken my share of adventures. If you ask any of my former youth group members, they have stories of our trips that involved an adventure of getting lost. When I went to a large youth ministry conference, I discovered that all the other youth pastors struggled to read maps too. They taught me to tell the students we were taking an adventure when I got lost. 


When the GPS systems came, my mom bought me one for Christmas. She understood my map reading struggle. I took that system everywhere, including on my trip to Monterey, California in 2016 on my own writing retreat. On my way home, an accident clogged the highway. I got off at an exit and studied my GPS to find another way instead of sitting in traffic for six hours. It found another route. I drove without looking at the route. 


On the road it told me to turn right on this one road. I passed it. I made a U-turn and went back to that little road. I stared. That little narrow concrete road traveled through a vineyard. Are you nuts? I asked my system. She told me to turn. I held my breath and since the road was paved, I went through the vineyard. Trucks lined the outside of the path with farmers pruning the vines. They looked at my little compact car driving through their path. I drove for two miles. Then, at the end, I turned right onto the highway beyond the accident. I got through it! 


That journey reminded me of the journey of the Magi. They studied the stars. Their journey may have been anywhere from one to two years because they found Jesus at the house. King Herod lied to them because he worried that a new king would take his throne. Many leaders struggle to understand that they will not live forever, and someone will take their place, but Jesus did not come to be a political king to fight wars. He came to save us from our sins. 


The only part of the journey that we know is that they took a different way home. They did not return to King Herod because when they met Jesus, they found the truth and being warned in a dream, they returned on a different route. 


This Christmas, follow Jesus with this beautiful season. To navigate your journey, read the first Christmas journey in Matthew 1-2 and Luke 1-2. You will discover that faith brings joy on a journey that does not have a straight path. Follow your heart, read His story this Christmas, and have a conversation with Jesus of what you can do together on your life journey with Him and with your gifts to make a difference in the world. This leads to a Merry Christmas! 


No comments:

Post a Comment