Sunday, November 7, 2021

Being a Cheerleader Creates Grattitude

 Today in Los Angeles, they ran the LA Marathon. What is always intriguing to me is how people stand on the street and just cheer for strangers to keep running. They are not famous. They are not even connected to these people in any way. They are just cheering for them because they are accomplishing a major feat. It makes us healthier when we cheer for others. It makes us more grateful when we cheer for others. It makes us connect with other humans and makes us more humane as we rejoice with others. 


As we start November, I am reminded that it should be a month of gratefulness. For so much of our lives, we only see what is wrong in the world, or in our own lives, that we can miss what is the best of life right around us. As a Los Angeles Dodger’s fan, I was disappointed that they did not repeat as World Series Champions, but I couldn’t help but rejoice with Atlanta and their World Series Championship. There were great players on that team with one who had been on that team for eleven years and it was his first World Series Championship. Just because we do not get the prize in life that we desire, doesn’t mean we cannot be happy for those who do. It’s all a part of being grateful for what occurs in life. When I achieve something great, I want others to rejoice with me, so I must rejoice with others when they achieve something great. 


When others achieve something great and reach a dream, we can become inspired to chase our dreams. Once we turn our dreams into goals, we then can reach one goal at a time. Someone posted on social media that they do not need to create anything but to just be a living being. I disagree because we are all here for a purpose, so we can all create. If we are willing to create something new, we can make a small difference in the world, even if we never are able to see that difference. The difference could cause someone to donate money to a cause that is close to their heart and much needed in this world.  So, let us create. 


Once we begin to create, we realize that those who achieved something great were always creating, and instead of becoming envious, we can rejoice. Even though I do have a tinge of jealousy when others succeed, I realize that instead of being jealous, I can rejoice at their creation and be inspired to create what I can. Creating something new can be a new dish for dinner, a handmade item, a schedule to live each day with fullness, or some kind of art. 


In this month of November, people all over the world are writing a first draft of a novel, in one month. Others are raising money for cancer research by growing facial hair. Others are creating presents for those near and far for the upcoming holidays. I can look with envy at those who are creating, or I can join them because I know I can’t beat them because creating is not a competition but a complement to our completion. That, and I may be slightly participating in one of the November events, and trust me, it’s not facial hair. 


So, in this month of thankfulness, may we find a way to empower and encourage others in their achievements. It makes us grateful. It inspires us to do something even mediocre that can influence someone else. We may never know our sphere of influence, but we can hope that whatever we create, we bring just a bit of joy to someone else. Besides, now that the baseball season is over, the college basketball season begins. It will be a great year for my two teams. One, with all their starters back, UCLA, and the other with a coach retiring, Duke. It will be epic. It will be inspiring. Greatness will be achieved, and I will just cheer for them as loud as I can. 


No comments:

Post a Comment