Sunday, December 6, 2020

The Sound of the Christmas Season

 Confession: I start listening to Christmas music way before Thanksgiving, and sometimes I listen to it all through February. To be fair, I have lots of instrumental Christmas music that helps me concentrate while I write, at least that’s the excuse I give. I’m not a fan of hymns, but I love the old-fashioned Christmas carols, no matter if they are updated or the old version. I think it’s because I only hear them once a year. Whatever it is, music elicits emotions that help us think, which helps us grow mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. 


Music has always been a part of my life. I loved my music classes as a child in elementary. My mom taught me how to play the organ when I was young and I learned to read music. I played the clarinet in marching band. I took piano and voice lessons in college and even sang in a traveling ensemble.  I even took a music theory class and learned how to write music. I love music. It inspires me to create. It inspires me to dance. It inspires me to think beyond anything I have been taught and think with a new viewpoint, even in Christianity. 


The Bible tells us to sing and worship. “Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord all the earth. Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the people, his marvelous deeds among the nations. For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise.” Psalm 96:14- (NIV) Worship gives glory to God and reminds us of the salvation that he has given us. 


Music is an art that brings many instruments and voices together as one. As harmonies come together a song is built through different sounds to create a beautiful song. Music embodies the idea that through many we become one. It resembles the concept of Romans 12 that many body parts come together to work and function as one whole body.  If we take out an instrument from a song, it can ruin the song, no matter how big or small the instrument is. Music is an art that works within a community. It inspires us to join in with the community and sing or play along with it. 


Music is an art that brings the words of poet to life. I am attracted to many songs because of their lyrics and the life that they bring. Poets bring the lyrics to life. There are so many Christmas songs that are old and new that tell the story of Jesus coming to earth and why he came. It is through the lyrics that we can all discover the beauty that the child whose birth we celebrate brought into the world. 


Music is an art that can be shared to all people. It is a medium that can transcend languages and styles. It can bring people together and join in with the festivity without understanding the written language but can feel the joy in the sounds of music. 


This Christmas season, may we all take time to listen to the music as an art that proclaims the coming of a Savior without the pomp and circumstance, but with the humility of a baby born in a barn in a land not his own. May the music of this season teach us more about who this baby is and why he had to come. May we all have joy and peace with our silent nights.  


No comments:

Post a Comment