Sunday, November 15, 2020

Being Right or Being Kind

 The meme drops on social media. The person who drops it on their social media post drops it as if they dropped the mic at the end of their speech, but the whole speech is not there, and in its remnants, lie there creating divisiveness. It’s not the memes that are wrong, but the intent that lies behind them. 


In a special issue of Scientific American about truth vs. lies, it addresses the issue of memes and the meanness that they contribute to the lies on social media. During the pandemic, I have been able to be on social media more often than before. It’s been both helpful and hurtful. I have contributed to both the help and the hurt. It’s a struggle that we have had since the beginning of time. Do we desire to be right or to be kind? 


When we communicate online, we are able to say anything and not get slapped in the face. (Although, my high school students have slapped people in the face for what they posted online.) It’s the hiding behind our computers that has damaged relationships. It feels safe to be able to drop a meme or make a statement that reveals that our thoughts and beliefs are right, but they are rarely kind. Do we ever stop to think that maybe people are struggling in life beyond the pandemic, election, or whatever else is occurring in the world?   


Although the meme or statement is right or correct, the way in which it is stated is not done with kindness. It’s as if we see a friend in public, walk up to them, make the statement, turn around and leave them wondering what that was all about. We don’t even stop to ask how they are doing. We just have to be right. We have to justify our beliefs, which makes me wonder that if we have to justify them maybe they are not as right as we thought, including our Christian beliefs that are stated that cause people to hurt and walk away from their faith in God. Jesus addressed the whole complex issue. He always spoke the truth with love and kindness. We need to emulate Him. 


We need to begin to think of others. I often respond on social media with unkind words. I regret them later, but in the moment, I fail.  I need to remember that people are dealing with many issues right now. As we approach the holiday season, we need to realize that people struggle in this season with loved ones that are lost, financial difficulties, and jobs that are lost or demanding and on the verge of being lost. 


There is something to be said about being right about an issue, topic, or belief. If we believe so strongly about something, we need to begin to do something about it. For years, I stood outside the walls of education screaming that there was inequity within those walls. I screamed that something needed to be done to fix the education system. People within the education system told me I needed to return to education. I think there were two reasons. One, I was annoying them, and they were kind. The second reason is better. They recognized my passion. They recognized that I could be a problem solver. I just had to put my money where my mouth was. Back then, it was my mouth. Today, it’s all online. 


It’s difficult to put aside our rightness to show kindness, but it is much needed. Before we enter the full season of Thanksgiving and Christmas, may we begin to think more of being kind and less of being right. People struggle with the holiday season, and this year, many will struggle for many reasons and many will be alone. Our words online will be more impactful. 


I have to continue to work on that which is wrong in order to make a right, but I cannot do it by being rude or mean, or make rude or mean comments on social media. Antagonizing people never works. Inspiring people always works. We all follow those that inspire us to be better. May we all begin to gather more followers by being inspiring. Jesus changed lives. He didn’t do it by being mean or rude. May His followers start the chain of being kind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment