Sunday, June 28, 2020

Loving Others: Easier Said Than Done Especially on Social Media

As I scroll through social media, I wonder if any of us really know how to love other people. By no means am I an expert on love. I have not been in the best dating relationships, but I hope I have grown and learned from them. Loving others is difficult, but it is necessary. As Christians, we need to love others with the love of Jesus. I wonder if we really understand what that means.

An expert in the law wanted to test Jesus, so he asked him how he could have eternal life. Jesus asked him what was written in the law. He quoted Jesus’s two greatest commandments to love God and to love his neighbor as himself. Jesus said he was correct, but the expert wanted to test Jesus further and asked who is my neighbor? Then Jesus told the story of the good Samaritan. When a Jewish man was robbed, a priest and a Levi passed by him, but a Samaritan, who was hated by the Jews, stopped, helped, paid for his medical care, and made sure he was healthy. The expert had to admit that the Samaritan was the neighbor.

If we modernize this, we can see it this way. A person of your opposite political beliefs or different ethnicity or of a different religion is beaten up and lying on the ground. Are you the priest, the Levi, or the Samaritan? Once we view it from a modern-day stance, it takes on a different meaning for us. It can become real. Looking through social media, I wonder how many Good Samaritans are really in our society today. We all need to begin to love our neighbors as ourselves.

When we truly love others, we have empathy. A famous pastor at the Thrive Summit said that if we have to undermine someone when they cry out hurting by saying, “But what about…” Then we are not being empathetic. When a person cries out, “This is what matters to me right now,” and we respond with, “But what about,” we are not being empathetic or loving but trying to have our voice heard over their pain. In fact, they would perceive it as silencing their pain. Being empathetic means that you listen with genuine concern and speak with them and be there for them.

Next, we need to end, “us” vs. “them.” This can be with religious or political viewpoints. If we see the other group of people as the enemy or stupid, or evil, then how do we get them to change? Once you call me any of those names, I’m done listening. We must work together with different views. Compromise occurs all the time in relationships that are successful. When I was in unhealthy relationships, compromise was only one-sided. All of us need to compromise.

We need to listen.  We need to communicate clearly. In the world of social media; we have lost the art of communication. The moment someone creates a meme, they believe that is the definitive ending and there is no other debate. Having taught debate, that is incorrect. In fact, many times, I can see the other side, even when I agree with the meme. A meme brings forth many questions. If we are going to speak in memes, we better be ready to answer questions…with love and truth. Once we become angry, we are no longer loving.

We need to study and research. There are many pieces of literature that can help us bring reconciliation. We have to read beyond with what we agree. A long time ago, at a Youth Specialties Youth Workers Convention, we were challenged to go to seminars and buy books by people with whom we disagree. Then we were to discover why we disagree and how we can agree in some areas and work together. Whenever I look at books or magazines today, I try to diversify and read literature with whom I have disagreements. I don’t walk away changed, but I can see the common ground of everyone trying to do something to make the world a better place for all people. It also challenges my thoughts and why I believe what I do and strengthens my beliefs. It also keeps me from being arrogant or rude when people ask questions. I actually can find the answers for them.

Most importantly, we need to care for people. We need to treat people how we want to be treated. We need to show people that we are listening and that we are truly empathetic with their hurts or concerns. I’m trying to continue to work on this. If loving others was easy, everyone would have perfect relationships, but it is not. Anything worth doing must take work. Love takes work and it is well worth it. May we all look at how Jesus loves us and become the Good Samaritan to those who truly need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment